8 Ways to Deal With Feeling Overwhelmed.
I had been feeling just a tad overwhelmed lately and tend to when I have too much on my plate. Can you relate? Coupled with a gripping anxiety, it isn’t a good mix for spiritual alignment and success of any kind. But, it is normal. Here’s some of my tips to stop feeling overwhelmed in your life and start feeling the flow of productivity and ease.
1. Identify everything you need to get done. Be it things on a to do list or even things going on in your life that are weighing you down. As women we’re like computer programs with too many tabs open running at the same time. Honour all the things that are stressing you out and itemize them on paper. Believe me this exercise helps so much!
2. Find a way to delegate. Whatever is out of your control or scope of knowledge or energy. Some things are just soul sucking and so time consuming. Hire people that can do it for you or ask for help. It’s a sanity saver!
3. Meditate. We need to calm the eff down sometimes and know how to realign our energy and thoughts. You have 100% control of what thoughts you allow into your mind. Ask your guides and angels (sorry if that’s too woo-woo for you!) to help you with whatever you need done. The universe is ready and waiting when you can trust. For example, I was looking for a personal support worker for my mother for ages. I meditated and prayed, I asked my angels to help me with this (as I was getting nowhere). I visualized finding the perfect person. The next day, I came upon a website that was an online agency for hiring personal support workers. I signed up for it and gave into the concept that I couldn’t do it all myself. Once I had paid the fee and gone with the process of this agency, I found the care workers I needed within a 24 hours! They are also EXACTLY what I asked for. It’s been a HUGE relief for me.
4. One thing at a time. Sometimes we just truly have so much going on that it clogs up our very being. Honour the fact that you are only one person with so many hours in the day to get things done. Choose ONE thing that needs to be done right now and pencil in the rest for another day that week.
5. Punch out at the end of the day. Whether you work from home or outside the home, your work is never done. There’s work and then there’s housework, dinner and the everyday stuff. Set up a cut off time (mine is when the kids go to bed) and punch out. If you have stuff to do after the kids are in bed, then again, make a cut off time and stick to it. You WILL burn out if you don’t do this one thing.
6. Honour where you are. If you own and run an online business like I do, then you know the entire concept of promoting your business and getting out there is quite daunting! Keeping on top of social media, creating your offerings, Facebook ads, Instagram ads,, Google ads, blogging, click funnels and the list goes on and on! Whoa Nelly, if you’re feeling overwhelmed in this arena then it’s time to dial back and connect with your greatness and your service to others. My advice is keep it simple. Start with where you’re at and what you can do and offer right now. Allow yourself to do one thing at a time, and know that the time will come for everything else to happen. Trust your path and let it flow. Your Facebook biz page will grow, your Instagram following will grow, you’ll figure out your sponsored ads when the time comes. But for today inspire others with your content and your authenticity. Content is king always. The rest will come.
7. It may be time to just say NO. Once you’ve taken inventory of all the things that are sending you into a tizzy, you may realize that half of them can be taken off your list. Sometimes we just say yes to everything because we want to help. It’s nice to help but it’s not nice to put yourself in a position of stress because of it. Say NO more often and you’ll be less overwhelmed for sure.
8. Emotional overwhelm – it’s real and that needs to be taken seriously. Whatever emotional stress is going on in your life, you need to honour that 100%. Sometimes I try to do everything at once, on top of it all I have some heavy stuff going on. Girl, that isn’t serving anyone. There were so many times when I just felt overwhelmed in general. Whether my to do list was big or small. For instance, I’ve felt emotionally drained from my Mother’s care lately, as she has dementia. There have been some days I haven’t gotten much done, but I had to identify that what I was going through wasn’t easy and that I needed to take the time to feel my way through it and give myself the care I needed too. Taking time for myself, doing things that made me feel relaxed and realigned were of utmost importance. When we let our emotional stress pile up, thats when breakdowns happen. Don’t let yourself get there. Simply put, recognize when you need a timeout altogether.
I hope this helped you get a hold on your feeling of overwhelm. As my teacher Gabrielle Bernstein says, if you’re feeling fear (stress and overwhelmed), it’s a good sign that you’re relying on your own strength. Remember that you’re not alone in this journey, tapping into the power of the universe and your higher power will free you.
If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below and share what else has worked for you in dealing with feeling overwhelmed. Sending you a big virtual hug. You got this 😉
Empowering you always,